Monday, February 2, 2009
How we survived the storm of the century...
Joshua, Matthew, and I had an eventful week last week (Jan. 27-Feb. 1). An ice storm hit western Kentucky (among other states) early last week. We were doing well, and I was able to make it into work on Tuesday morning. As the branches broke off the Magnolia trees outside my office window, I thought we just got past the worst of a bad ice storm. Then, I realized what a bad ice storm really was. It continued to rain (and freeze) Tuesday night. At 1:45AM Wednesday morning, we lost power...and phone service...and cell phone service...and eventually water service! "WE" is an all-inclusive "WE" of western Kentucky. Calloway County fared better than the surrounding counties north and west of us, but it still shut down the entire city...even Wal-Mart! Matt and I decided to drive to my parents' on the north end of town, knowing that they would at least have heat from a wood stove and that Dad had an old WWII Army generator. With the generator, we were able to have running water from the well.
My greataunt Frances and a college student also stayed with my parents. The nextdoor neighbors also spent the days with us and enjoyed the luxuries of heat and water and great meals that Mom prepared on the gas grill. We didn't go hungry! Others popped in for short visits, but had other arrangements or left town.
Matt drove down to Paris, TN at least once a day for gasoline for the generator. That got a little old, but he was a trooper. His fastest trip took 2 hours. We kept looking to buy more 5-gallon gas cans so he wouldn't have to make as many trips, but Murray was cleaned out.
Joshua was great during all the chaos. All he knew is that he had an extended stay at the grandparents' and that his crib was being moved from room to room. (Den during the day to be warmed by the wood stove, and in my old bedroom with Matt and me at night so we could be close by if he cried.) We ignored the safety concern of having loose blankets in his bed and opted to keep him warm by covering him with 4 baby blankets in addition to his fleece pj's and sleepsack. He never complained about being cold, though. :-) He especially soaked up all the extra attention that his Grandmom and the nextdoor neighbor could dish out. And, personally, I enjoyed being able to spend more time with him during the day, too.
Dad, who is now the county director for emergency management, was pulling 20-hour days. He'd come home long enough to refill the generator and grab a bite, then he was back at the EOC. I know he's glad that everything is calming down, now. The amateur radio group did an amazing job providing communications services across western KY.
We returned home Sunday evening, and we were fortunate. Since my parents live out in the country, their power was not restored until later in the week. And they are fortunate. Co-workers who live in the county north of us are still without power. They could be without for another month or two.
We are blessed. All we lost were some tree limbs. We had shelter, water, food, and heat. We were with family and friends. No one was injured. I'm glad it's over, but I also thank God for his provisions.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment