Tuesday, January 20, 2009
Joshua's First Christmas
Okay, so it's about time I posted to the blog. I know, over a month has passed, and it's high time I updated the photos. Joshua has really taken off. Even these photos are outdated, with him having shot up in height and weight literally overnight. I can't keep up. So, here goes, as I try to hit the highlights of the last month.
Baby's Got Back!
As of last Thursday (1/15/09), at 12 weeks of age, Joshua weighed in at 10 pounds 13 ounces. The little boy who once only gained .5 ounces per day is now gaining closer to 2! He's blazing through the 0-3 month size clothes. It's kinda sad to see his teenie-tiny premie outfits being put away, but we're thrilled for the recent growth.
What would you say?
Joshua wants to talk so badly. You can especially hear him trying to say hi, hey, and hello. Matt keeps working on "mommy, daddy". I keep working on "Riley, meow"...Riley's the cat...not Matt's favorite choice of first words... He's also proficient at saying "Ah-goo" and "N-GAA". Not sure what ah-goo means, but N-GAA means "FEED ME NOW!"
Sweet Dreams
We are very happy to report that Joshua is sleeping better through the nights...thank goodness! Going on 30 minutes of sleep was rough. For a couple of nights now, we've gotten a stretch of 4 hours followed by a stretch of 3 hours. I'll take it!
We've had two big discoveries that have helped make this sleep happen. (They've helped Joshua's well-being, in general.)
1: We realized that Joshua must have GERD (acid reflux disease) - "Baby" Zantac has worked wonders for that. He still spits up large amounts, and often, but at least he doesn't scream for an hour afterwards anymore! Now he just makes a mess and smiles.
2: I can't eat corn, or any cereals made of corn. Who knew corn was an allergen? We haven't gone through any medical testing, but process of elimination definitely points to corn, not dairy, as the culprit. I'm telling Joshua he has until next summer to outgrow this issue. Once Dad's silver queen corn comes in, it will be hard for me to stay away from my favorite garden goodie.
Baby's First Christmas
What can I say? He slept through it. Well, that's how it appears in our photos, at least. We stayed in Murray for Christmas this year. We had a peaceful Christmas Day at the grandparents', then we celebrated Michael M's birthday with yummy cake. I guess Joshua will get his own piece next year...if Michael will share :-)
On the Saturday following Christmas, we drove to Brookport, IL to celebrate the "Call Clan Christmas" at Uncle Larry and Aunt Barbara's. Joshua was well entertained by the cousins, aunts, and uncles, and he loved every minute of it!
Saying Goodbye to Granny
Our first road trip was to Hayti, MO for Granny's funeral. I packed two diaper bags, complete with 4 outfits and 11 diapers. I've learned my lesson that he usually has blow-outs at the least opportune times. However, he was a perfect gentleman on this bittersweet day. Granny's church was beautifully decorated for Christmas with two large poinsettia trees, greenery, and lights. Granny's friends said they decorated it just for her. Granny would have loved the decor. It does seem like she timed it so that her funeral would coincide with this beautiful backdrop.
Matt held Joshua in a front carrier, called an Ergo, throughout the service. Joshua slept through the church service, and Aunt Karen stayed in the van with Joshua during the cold and rainy graveside service. Joshua has been a blessing during this time. Baby therapy is a real thing. I still think of Granny every day, holding on to this mental picture/wish that she would see Joshua into his toddler years and read stories to him in her rocking chair. But we are grateful for the time that Joshua did get to spend with Granny.
The Days Fly By
We're so glad that we don't have to take Joshua to a daycare. Mom (a.k.a. Grandma) keeps him on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday since those are days that Matt has classes. And Matt keeps him on Tuesday and Thursday. I hog him as much as possible in the evenings and weekends. He seems to be thriving on the attention. When it gets warmer, we'll get out more. For now, he's loving the activity mat, bouncy seat, and swing, but mostly he loves being held. He already enjoys being read to, and that's a hobby that we're sure to encourage.
I'll be posting more photos soon. For now, maybe the 85 or so shots in the current album will be entertainment enough. I know, that's a lot. Hey, at least I didn't post all 265 photos that we took during this time!
We hope everyone is doing well and keeping warm and healthy.
Lots of love!
Matt, Beth, and Joshua
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hello!! It's about time you posted some pics!! Just kidding. :) He is so adorable! I am glad that things are working out better. I still can't get my 9 mo old to go over 3 hours at night without a feeding. HOw is the job going with nursing? Email me sometime when you have a chance. Love you guys! Mindy Estes
Post a Comment