Monday, March 30, 2009

5 months old already! (almost 6!)

It's hard to believe that Joshua's already 5 months old. Time flies, and Joshie grows. He's tipping the scales at 14 pounds 14 ounces. The 0-3 month clothes are being packed away. The 6-9 month clothes are coming out. It's sad to pack up the cute outfits, but it's also exciting (and a bit like Christmas) to unpack a whole new wardrobe every three months.

Joshua's experienced a lot of firsts recently, so we have some catching up to do on the blog. Here goes...

First visit to Granna and Grandpa's in Pennsylvania


We spent spring break in Butler, PA - Matt's hometown. Joshua was a wonderful traveller, and Matt was a wonderful driver. I was a wonderful tag-alonger-er. Seriously, the trip was a great success. Joshua's favorite to-do at the rest stops was to create a fountain whenever diaper was taken off. (Daddy and I got to be pretty fast with the cover-and-change method.)

Joshua KNEW his Granna and Grandpa when we arrived, even though he hadn't seen them since his grand entrance into the world. We use webcams to talk to the grandparents often, so we believe he recognized their voices. In no time he was cuddling up in their laps and enjoying every second of their attention. Reading books, taking naps, blowing raspberries...the days were packed. We had gorgeous spring weather, so we took nice strolls through the neighborhood several days. Joshie also explored his grandpa's workshop and held his grandpa's fishing rod, ready to go fly fishing any day. We were there on St. Patrick's Day, so Joshie was able to model in-person the cute St. Pat's outfit that his Granna bought. It was tough to say goodbye, but we'll be seeing the grandparents again soon.

First taste of cereal

With the 5-month birthday came Joshua's first experience of solid food. Rice cereal, yumm, yumm. He's more interested in his high chair than the cereal, to be honest. I think the photos paint a good picture of that. Love the first 3 shots of his "first bite". You see the before, all happy and playing; the second shot, with the spoon shoved in his mouth; and the third shot, not too impressed with rice cereal.

With the black straps and gray seat, he keeps reminding me of a fighter pilot, ready for takeoff in his highchair. That reminds me; I gotta find one of those spoons that has a plane on the handle. So far, the eating experiences have been good, though I can't say that much of the cereal is actually being swallowed. Let's just say the "Spit Happens" bib from Brittney has seen lots of action. I'm sure things will get better once he tastes the garden veggies and fresh fruit, compliments of his Murray grandparents. Grandma already has the gourmet baby food recipe book, where the recipes call for more ingredients than I use in our own dishes! Something tells me that Joshua's going to prefer eating at his Grandma's...and I can't blame him....I do, too.

First spin in the stroller

The weather can't make up its mind, in typical Murray fashion. One day, it will be 70 and beautiful; the next day it's 40 and rainy. But we've taken Joshua out in his stroller a couple of times now. The first day, he explored the backyard while his dad was cleaning out the rain gutters and his mom carried the buckets of gunk from the roof to the far side of the creek. He had his toys and enjoyed hearing the birds, so all was well, though a bit on the cool side. The second day was beautiful and sunny! We strolled around the neighborhood after watching the clean-up crew cart off the storm debris. No Sunday afternoon nap for us! The loud trucks caused too much commotion. And with the beautiful, sunny day, the whole neighborhood was out to watch. We joined Leah and her little ones in their driveway, and another neighbor brought her children over, too. Nothing like bulldozers to bring the neighborhood together.


Toothless smiles, still
Still working on it, but the first tooth has broken through the skin finally. It's a lower tooth, on the right side...not in the middle, which I guess is what I was expecting. I keep hoping he won't be a scraggly tooth like his mom, but time will tell. In the meantime, he's waking up more often and occasionally lets us know he's uncomfortable, but he's still Mr. Smiley more often than not.


Birthday Celebration
My brother, Jeff, celebrated his twenty-eighteenth birthday (as he refers to it), or his forty-minus-two birthday (as I refer to it). He, Lori, and Kaleb came in last weekend to celebrate. Joshua had a big time, but still gets nervous around men with beards. He worked up to letting Jeff hold him for maybe 5 minutes (long enough to get through 4 choruses of Old McDonald) but then pouted and wanted safety and security from less-whiskered folks. We've gotta work on this little issue before next Christmas comes around.

Here are some pics from the birthday celebration. Something tells me Matt is trying to make a "biker baby" out of our little Joshie (red napkin was held on Joshua's head like a doo rag). I won't have it!


Well, that should keep you busy for a while. Come back next week. I'll have Easter pics to share.

Happy Easter!
Love,
Beth, Matt, and Joshua

No comments: